It’s been a long time since this project first kicked off.. September 2012 to be a little more accurate. However, the project is now completed to my relief!
Here is the video:
This being the first video of any sort I had done for Darren (Of Broken Desperado), it was great to get to meet up and discuss idea’s for numerous projects that shortly became ‘on the agenda’. After narrowing down all of these crazy hectic idea’s Darren was throwing at me, we decided on a slightly less hectic approach for this particular shoot. (Which I am glad we did at the time, because it has allowed us to get to know how each other work, which will definitely aid the speed of shooting on more complex shoots in the future)!
The first location for the video is situated in London, and is a pub/music venue called; The Slaughtered Lamb. Which Darren got in touch with the owners of, and arranged to book the venue out for a day, so we could make use of the space, and PA system without any disturbances. An absolutely awesome venue from a cinematographers point of view due to it’s stunning looking retro furniture, neon & fluorescent lights throughout the building and basement area. Really fantastic, and was a joy deciding how to re-arrange everything to build a set for the performance bits of the video. Thanks to Jason Peachey, who was in charge of the PA system and also some filming, we were able to shoot ALL of the performance parts in just a single day. We even had time to ‘taste check’ some of the ‘Mini Sliders’ which come in a variety of meats and fillings to your taste. Very nice, I recommend the Venison myself!
All shot and done with the performance parts of the video, I compiled all the clips into my editor and begun my usual process of editing (import>sync>cut). With (as per usual) routinely exporting low quality renders for the client to see progress of the editing process.
Nothing happened from then, up until mid February, when we planned to visit our second and final filming location, which was in Dungeness, Kent (Coastline). As Darren and I are both based fairly north of London, we knew we would have to plan our journey down there accordingly. Jason Peachey was also kind enough to assist us on the second shoot which was a great help! The three of us began the almost 4 hour journey south on 8th Feb, in hope to kip the night in a cheap hotel and make the most of the following day by an early start. So that is exactly what we did! Upon arrival to our surprisingly dark and gloomy bed and breakie, the three of us dumped all the gear in our rooms, and headed out to the centre of the town we were staying in, only to find a single Weatherspoons pub, and none other than 60′s and up places to go in the evening! (Disappointed) we went for a stroll in the unusually large ASDA supermarket that we found there, which we were deadly sure was built by mistake, by the seemingly low population of the town.
Anyway, apart from the sparsely populated and elderly orientated town, the people were lovely and very accommodating! We headed off in the morning, found our first location which was on the shoreline on the way to the main location (1 hour drive away from hotel). We shot some opening ‘thoughtful’ scenes as well as some stone skipping for the intro.
1 particular shot from this quick location, was a clip I shot with the Glidecam on the rocks. I was able to capture some fantastic light leaks and streaks that I think compliment the footage really well! Slight ‘mis-hap’ with the Tokina 11-16 though, it went for a dive! – Rented Lens = Not good! (Shhh, don’t tell anyone)
Turns out, it survived though, thanks to the Pro-Digital UV filter I had on the front (thank goodness).
We shot what we needed to get shot, down at the main location (Dungeness). Beautiful beautiful place! Absolutely love it, and again, the people are extraordinarily lovely!
After a long hard day, we headed back home and I began the editing process once again!
However, I felt like it had been so long since we shot the performance shots in London, that the footage from the two different locations just didn’t ‘flow’ together correctly. After establishing that it wasn’t working as I wanted it to, I ‘bit the bullet’ and started the whole editing process from scratch. Re-imported/synced all the footage and started over. “Now we’re talkin!” It worked! Flowed much much better, and gave me some motivation to get the project underway again!
It took until April for the song to be remastered and fixed up by the studio, before I could overlay the new audio track, add some titles and render out the final (lossless) quality version ready for web!
Many thanks to Darren Brett (Of Broken Desperado) & Jason Peachey.
Overall a fantastic experience working closely along side Darren, and great fun & laughs in the process of everything! Looking forward to get working on more projects in the near future.
So here it is, I hope you like it!